I’ve asked God that question too many times to count. And frankly, the question normally was spoken in the form of a whine…a grumbling, if you will.

The Bible explicitly tells us to, “Do all things without grumbling” (Philippians 2:14). But does that mean that we cannot or should not bring our complaints before our Father? 

The Psalmist, David, cried out to God, saying:

“With my voice I cry out to the Lord;
with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord.

I pour out my complaint before him;
I tell my trouble before him” (Psalm 142:1-2).

When we grumble, we are proclaiming that the grace of God is not enough…that what He is doing isn’t “working.” And that simply is not true. His grace is enough!

While the word “grumbling” and “complaining” can be interchangeable, I found it it interesting that one of the online dictionaries described grumbling as a “protest about something in a bad-tempered but typically muted way” while the description of the word, complain, was a “state that one is suffering from.”

David wasn’t grumbling to God, he was “pouring out his complaint before Him.” David was being chased and hunted down by Saul. He was alone (at first), and had already been through a ton! And if you read Psalm 142 in its entirety, then you will find out that God was also chasing David, but for a completely different reason. I’ll spoil it for you…

“I cry to you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living” (Psalm 14:5).

God wanted to be David’s refuge, and David honored that and honored his Father in Heaven.

It’s okay to bring our complaints before our Father—He wants us to. Because His desire is - now and forever - to be our refuge.

Comments

Popular Posts